Is your child nagsasawa na with his usual baon of fried chicken or chicken nuggets? Get him excited for lunch by preparing him these chicken recipes instead. Majority of these recipes are quick to make (for your convenience) and come in bite-sized pieces (for your child's convenience). A few take a little longer to prepare for the days you want to make your child something extra special. No more to half-eaten baons!
1. General Tso's Chicken Let’s start with something bit-sized, easy to make and sure to please. This chicken thigh recipe is both crunchy and sauce-y, and sweet and savory at the same time. Any picky eater is sure to bring home an empty baunan when packed this ulam.
Serves 5 to 6 Prep Time 10 minutes Cooking Time 10 minutes
1/2 kilo chicken thigh fillet, sliced into bite-sized pieces 1 medium egg, beaten 1 tablespoon soy sauce 1/2 cup cornstarch oil for deep-frying
For the sauce 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil 1/4 cup garlic, minced 2 tablespoons soy sauce 1/4 cup brown sugar 3 tablespoons vinegar 3 tablespoons Chinese wine 2 tablespoons chicken stock salt and pepper, to taste 1/2 cup green onions
3. Cheesy Chicken Pesto Lumpia Here's an Italian twist to Pinoy lumpia! Gooey and cheesy, your child is bound to love this recipe that he'll ask for it again and again.
1 cup basil leaves 1 clove garlic 1/4 cup olive oil salt and pepper to taste 2 pieces boneless chicken breast, sliced into small cubes 1 tablespoon olive oil 3 tablespoons cream 1/3 cup quick melt cheese, sliced into small cubes 1 tablespoon flour 1 pack spring roll wrapper 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
4. Chicken Salpicao Did you know you could make salpicao with chicken too? This chicken salpicao recipe is extra easy and extra quick to make. Trust us, it's a dish that's going in your go-to list of chicken baon recipes.
Serves 2 Prep Time 10 minutes Cooking Time 15 minutes
1 1/2 cups cubed chicken breast 1/4 teaspoon paprika salt and pepper, to season 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons sliced garlic 1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms 1 tablespoon liquid seasoning
5. Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Gravy How about instead of making your usual fried chicken recipe, upgrade it into something a little more special instead? This one involves a marinate, an extra flavorful breading and some gravy on the side.
Serves 4 to 6 Prep Time 15 minutes, plus marinating time Cooking Time 30 to 45 minutes
For the breading 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal 2 tablespoons salt 1 teaspoon white pepper 1 teaspoon onion powder 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon paprika 2 cups milk 2 tablespoons vinegar 2 teaspoons salt 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces vegetable or corn oil for deep-frying chopped parsley for garnish
For the gravy 1/4 cup butter 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1 cup chicken stock (or 1/4 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup water) 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon pepper
6. Chicken with Honey Mustard Sauce We've upgraded your fried chicken, now here's a recipe to upgrade your chicken nuggets. What better way to upgrade a dish but by adding everyone's favorite munchies: potato chips. This pan-fried chicken is coated with potato chips and paired with a honey-mustard sauce.
Makes 6 servings Cooking time 35 minutes
2 tablespoons prepared mustard 2 tablespoons honey 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar 1 teaspoon sugar 1⁄2 kilo chicken tenders, tendons removed 1 cup salted potato chips, finely crushed salt and ground black pepper, to taste oil for pan frying
7. Carina Guevara's Chicken a la Kiev Here's another extra fast cooker. This is a relatively simple recipe to make and yet it's bursting with flavor. We bet, if your family's a fan of herbs, this one's going to be a baon favorite.
Serves 2 to 3 Prep Time 15 minutes Cooking Time 8 minutes
2/3 cup salted butter 1/4 cup chopped chives (or any fresh herb like basil, parsley, cilantro) 4 chicken breast fillets,pounded slightly so all the meat are of equal thickness salt and pepper to taste
For the breading mixture flour 2 eggs 1 cup unsweetened cornflakes, crushed
8. Chicken and Veggie Fried Rice If you've got a bit of left over chicken from last night's dinner or only have a small chunk of chicken in your freezer, you can try incorporating it into your child's rice instead of turning into ulam. This veggie fried rice will make any vegetable-hater convert.
Serves 4 Prep Time 15 minutes Cooking Time 20 minutes
1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil 2 skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into small cubes 2 tablespoons butter ¼ cup chopped white onions 1 tablespoon minced garlic ¼ cup chopped green bell peppers ¼ cup chopped green beans ¼ cup chopped carrots 4 cups steamed rice, cooled 2 eggs 2½ tablespoons Japanese soy sauce salt, white pepper, and sugar, to season
9. Chicken Bacon Spread Here's a chicken recipe that's not for lunch. It's for your child's recess baon. Make this spread the night before, pop it in the refrigerator and just spread on your child's sandwhich in the morning. A few leaves of lettuce would be good with this too.
Makes about 1 cup Prep time 10 minutes Cooking time 10 minutes
500 grams chicken breast, boiled and shredded 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1/4 cup bacon, cooked until crisp and chopped salt and pepper, to taste