Summer is definitely here! The hottest temperature recorded was at 36.1 degrees at the PAGASA Science Garden in Quezon City last April 6, 2010, 1:50pm and is still expected to reach 37 degrees by May. With this El Nino phenomenon, you can beat the summer heat through top cooling down activities for the family.
Since PAGASA said that the highest temperature is usually around 2:00-3:00 p.m., parents can definitely think of ideas on how to overcome the summer sweat during these times. Below are six budget friendly cooling down tips for the family to beat the summer heat!
1. Ice water spray! If your family needs to be out of the house because of errands to do, be sure to have some ice water spray handy! Instead of buying a bottle of expensive Evian, you can chill a small spray bottle with water, put some ice and spray unto your face or arms when you need some quick freshening up.
2. Ice-capade Treats ! Ice cream, Halo-Halo, Mais con yielo, Sago’t Gulaman and everything else that’s cool and can quench your thirst and refresh you from the heat! Mommies can definitely make this a bonding activity for the kids! They can make their own halo-halo or put toppings on their ice cream servings at home.
3. Cool menthol shampoos! These are heaven sent this summer. The cooling effect of the menthol shampoo makes your shower more enjoyable. You and your kids will definitely feel refreshed after bathing!
4. Ice Skating! Who says you can’t experience winter in Manila? This was a big hit years and years ago but is slowly dwindling in popularity. There are still a few malls that have an ice skating rink—not only will this help cool you down, this is also a great family bonding activity.
5. Go on a road trip! Tagaytay is the nearest summer destination. It will surely take your minds off the scorching heat! While in Tagaytay, you can go to Paradizoo and check the animals. Or have a picnic at the Picnic Grove. Make sure to bring your ice water spray!
6. Clubhouse Swimming or Inflatable Pool Swimming. Hit the clubhouse swimming pool if you’re really craving for that refreshing swim but can’t go far! Not only will it be free, you can also socialize with your neighbors and have a friendly chat. Don’t have a clubhouse with a swimming pool? Then meet up with a friend who does have one and arrange for a play date with the kids. Or, bring out the inflatable pool and fill to the brim. Indulge in some water play in your own backyard.
Whatever activity you pick for this season, just remember that your family is what’s important. Apart from the five budget friendly cooling down tips for the family mentioned above, maybe you can think of more. Keep finding creative ways to cool down and make your summer enjoyable. Summer is for the kids and it’s their time to explore!