- Big Kids These Pinoy-Tailored Games Will Help You And The Kids Learn Math (It's Free!)
- Toddler 5 Things No One Tells You About Potty Training: 'Prepare For Poop On The Couch'
- Your Health How To Clean A UV Light Lamp Because Not Knowing Is Dangerous
- Money How To Avoid Getting Scammed When Looking For Online Data Entry Jobs
6 Satisfying Sandwiches the Whole Family Will LoveHave a delicious treat and make these extra special sandwiches for your bunch.by Sharlene Tan .
Take your kid's same-old sandwiches to the next level, and make it extra special with a few key ingredients. They're still easy to prepare, but this time the grown-ups will want in on the action. Have fun munching!
Mayonnaise for spreading
2 slices ham (we used Spam)
1 small egg
1 slice cheddar cheese
Slice a bagel in half and spread mayonnaise on both sides. Put the slices pan-fried Spam on the bottom bagel, and then top it with a sunny-side-up egg and a slice of cheddar cheese. Cover with the other half of the bagel.
Handy tip: You can serve this open-faced to showcase the fried egg on the topmost layer of your sandwich. Use an egg ring when frying your egg to form a perfect sunny-side-up shape.
Green Eggs and Spam Breakfast Sandwich
1 can Spam
2 medium eggs
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons basil leaves, finely chopped
Hawaiian, honey, or sweet dinner rolls
Whipped cream cheese
1. Slice the Spam into 8 pieces and pan-fry on both sides until cooked.
2. Whisk the eggs and add heavy cream and basil leaves. Cook à la scrambled eggs.
3. Slice bread in half. Spread whipped cream cheese on the bottom half and pineapple jam on the top half. Slice a piece of pan-fried Spam in half and place on top of the cream cheese. Spoon green scrambled egg on top of the Spam and then cover with the top bun.
Handy tip: Some kids may not be keen on the idea of having green eggs in their sandwich, so skip the chopped basil when serving this to the kids.
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Bagel Sandwich
1 bar (225-gram) softened cream cheese
2 tablespoons chopped spring onions
1 tablespoon capers
100 grams smoked salmon slices
Red onion rings for garnish
1. Heat a bagel to warm and then slice in half. Mix together 1/4 of the softened cream cheese and chopped spring onions in a bowl until well combined. Spread on bottom half of the bagel.
2. Top with capers, smoked salmon slices, and a few slices of red onion rings. Cover with the other half of the bagel.
Handy tip: Best eaten while the bagel is still warm and chewy! Try mixing other herbs into your cream cheese to add more flavor.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
More from Smart Parenting
Baked Meatball Marinara Sandwich
For the meatballs:
1/4 kilo lean ground pork
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup grated carrots
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons flour
Salt and pepper
For the marinara sauce:
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped white onions
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 can diced tomatoes
Fresh basil, chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Make the meatballs by mixing together the ground pork with chopped onions, carrots, parsley, Parmesan cheese, egg, and flour. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Form into balls and bake in an oven for 10 to 12 minutes until firm. You may also opt to cook them on a non-stick pan with a little oil.
3. Make the marinara sauce by sautéing chopped garlic and chopped white onions in olive oil. Add diced tomatoes, a bunch of chopped fresh basil, and a dried oregano. Season with salt, pepper, and a little brown sugar.
4. Add meatballs to marinara and cook further until meatballs are fully cooked. Spoon meatballs and a little sauce on toasted mini baguettes. Drizzle readymade cheese sauce on top.
Handy tip: Make a big batch of the meatballs and sauce and freeze them in portions. Serve them on top of pasta or rice.
2 tablespoons butter
1 clove of chopped garlic
4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
2 to 3 slices salad tomato
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Mix together butter and garlic. Spread this on both sides of sliced ciabatta bread. Warm them in an oven toaster until toasted.
2. Arrange fresh mozzarella cheese on the bottom half of the bun and heat slightly in a toaster until mozzarella softens.
3. Fill the sandwich with salad tomato slices and a few pieces of torn basil leaves. Finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic cream and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Handy tip: It's essential to use well-toasted ciabatta for this sandwich. The crunchy exterior will contrast the soft textures of the filling. Warm the ciabatta in a toaster until lightly golden before putting the cheeses. Then, toast again.
Grilled Chicken and Apricot Melt
Sliced chicken breast
Salt and pepper
Red onion slices
Walnut wheat bread or rye bread
1. Season sliced chicken breast with salt, pepper, mustard, and garlic powder. Pan-fry in olive oil on a non-stick pan until cooked on both sides. On another pan, sauté red onion slices in olive oil over low heat until softened and caramelized. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a toaster, heat two slices of crusty bread. Spread mayonnaise on one slice and apricot jam on the other. Place pan-fried chicken breast on top of mayonnaise, and then top with a slice of Gouda cheese.
3. Top with sautéed onion slices. Cover with the other slice of bread with jam.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Handy tip: Don't overcook the marinated chicken to prevent the meat from becoming tough. Chicken breast cooks quickly, so just sauté it briefly. You can serve this on small bruschettas for a cocktail party.
Photos by Dairy Darilag. This article first appeared in the March 2015 issue of Smart Parenting magazine.
Trending in Summit Network