The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has definitely been striving to change its image. Here's a list of reminders released by the agency via its website to make sure every motorist driving in Metro Manila is aware of his rights and of the things an MMDA officer can and cannot do.
1. MMDA enforcers are not allowed to group together while apprehending a motorist. They are not even allowed to stand together in groups of two or more, except in actual times of special operations (e.g. apprehending groups of smoke-belching/colorum buses).
2. Swerving is not a traffic violation. It is defined as a movement wherein vehicles shift from a lane to another. However, it can constitute the offense of reckless driving if it is done without precautions (e.g. swerving in an abrupt and careless manner, swerving without the use of signals).
3. A driver's license cannot be confiscated by a traffic enforcer during traffic apprehensions except on the following situations:
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
a. The driver was involved in a traffic accident
b. The driver has accumulated three or more unsettled violations
c. The driver has been apprehended for the following violations:
- Allowing another person to use driver's license
- Broken sealing wire
- Broken taximeter seal
- Colorum operation (cargo/passenger vehicle)
- Driving against traffic
- Fake driver's license
- Fake/altered taximeter seal
- Fake/altered sealing wire
- Fast/defective/non-operational/tampered taxi meter
Click here to read more exceptions for a traffic enforcer to apprehend a driver.