- Gift Guide 6 Christmas Gifts That Will Protect Families And Loved Ones During The Pandemic
- Baby Baby Food Menu Ng 30 Days Atbp! Meal Planning Tips Para Sa 6-Month-Old Baby
- Baby Mula Kay Primo Hanggang Kay Alana! Mga Potty Training Techniques Ni Iya Villania
- Health & Nutrition Ano Ang Duphaston At Bakit Ito Nirereseta Sa Buntis?
Fatherhood Lowers Testosterone Level, says StudyResearchers believe that lowered testosterone may urge men to spend more time at home with the family
Women may be considered as the primary caregivers of children, but a study on fathers from Cebu, Philippines shows that men’s testosterone level dips once they become fathers, shifting them into ‘daddy mode’.
Says researcher Lee Gettler of Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois, "Men are, to a certain degree, hardwired to take care of their kids. This is important because traditional models of human evolution have portrayed women as the gatherers that take care of the kids and stay behind."
Researchers explain that such an occurrence can explain what happens when the testosterone levels are high, on the other hand. High testosterone makes men more inclined to get involved in non-fatherly qualities, such as competing for a mate and other activities.
According to the study, those who had the biggest decline in testosterone were those who just had newborns.
465 men took part in the Cebu Longitudinal Health and Nutrition Survey back in 2005 when they were still 21.5 years old. Their testosterone levels were studied twice, once before they woke up and another when they are sleep. These measurements were then repeated four years after, at 29 years old, when around 50 percent of them were already dads.
Here are the results:
• Men who stayed single had a 12 to 15 percent decline in testosterone.
• New fathers, those with a baby between 1 month and 1 year old, had a 30 percent decline in testosterone.
• Fathers of newborns had as much testosterone as 5 times that of single men and twice that of fathers of older kids.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos1 of 2 NEXT
Trending in Summit Network