- Preschooler Presence Over Presents: How Your Child Can Benefit From Fewer Toys This Christmas
- Real Parenting Why I Made Sure Filipino Is My Daughter's First Language
- News 5 Ways You Can Send Cash Donations And Relief Goods To Victims Of Typhoon Tisoy
- Breastfeeding There's A New Device That Gives Moms A Lactation Massage To Ease Breastfeeding Pain
Join the next Smart Parenting Giveaway and get a chance to win exciting prizes!Join Now
Here's How Your Child Can Be a DOST Scholar and Get Up to P57,000 Financial AssistanceThe scholarship is open to students on STEM and non-STEM strands.by Kitty Elicay .
Does your kid love science, engineering, mathematics, and technology (STEM)? If the answer is yes and she is in Grade 12, she may have a shot at a scholarship grant from the Department of Science and Technology (DOST).
The department’s Science Education Institue (SEI) is now accepting applications for the 2020 S&T Undergraduate Scholarship Program. The DOST extends annual scholarships to “stimulate and entice talented Filipino youths to pursue lifetime productive careers in science and technology and ensure a steady, adequate supply of qualified S&T human resources which can steer the country toward national progress,” according to their website. (For a list of programs covered by the S&T Undergraduate Scholarships, click here)
How to apply for the S&T Undergraduate Scholarships
There are two ways to secure the S&T Undergraduate scholarship. The first one is through Republic Act (RA) No. 7687, also known as the “Science and Technology Act of 1994.” This extends scholarships to talented and deserving students who want to pursue undergraduate degrees in priority fields of study in the basic sciences, engineering, other applied sciences, and science and mathematics teaching, but are incapable of paying school fees.
The second is through merit. The DOST-SEI Merit Scholarship Program is awarded to students with high aptitude in science and mathematics and who are willing to pursue careers in the fields of science and technology.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Qualified scholars can get the following privileges under a DOST scholarship
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Php40,000 tuition and other school fees per academic year
- Php10,000 book allowance per year
- Php7,000 monthly living allowance
- 1 economy-class roundtrip fare transportation allowance (for those studying outside of their home province)
- Premium group health and accident insurance
- Php1,000 post-graduation clothing allowance
Who are eligible to apply for the S&T Undergraduate Scholarship Program (2020)?
The scholarship is open to all natural-born Filipino citizens and who are currently:
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Grade 12 STEM students
- Grade 12 Non-STEM students who are members of the upper 5% of the graduating class
- High school graduates before the K-12 program who have not yet earned any post-secondary units in any college or university. They should also be members of the upper 5% of their graduating class
Application requirements for S&T Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- Duly accomplished application form
- Two (2) recent 1”x1” pictures
- Photocopy of birth certificate
- Electric bill for 3 consecutive months or Brgy. Certificate of Electric Sharing if sharing with other households*
- Parent’s 2018 Income Tax Return / W2 / Employment Contract for OFWs / BIR Cert. of Exemption from Filing of ITR / Brgy. Cert of Indigency*
*RA 7687 applicants onlyADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
To apply, the student must accomplish the following:
- Secure a copy of the 2020 DOST-SEI Science and Technology Undergraduate Scholarship Application Form at any DOST regional office or provincial S&T Center (click here for a list). You may also download the form by clicking here.
- Before filling out the application form, read and understand the terms of the scholarship grant. All pertinent information regarding the scholarship is provided in the brochure attached to the application form.
- Fill out the form completely and have the certifications signed by the proper officials. The staff who will evaluate your application form will determine the scholarship program where you may apply.
- Put the accomplished application form and all the documentary requirements in a long brown envelope. Cut and fill out the detachable label found in the brochure and paste it on the upper left-hand corner of the long brown envelope.
- Submit the brown envelope with the complete requirements to DOST-SEI, DOST regional offices, or provincial S&T Centers. Applications must be submitted on or before September 6, 2019.
- Pay the Php200 test fee (merit applicants only) and get your test permit and test primer upon submission of complete requirements. DOST staff will return incomplete requirements to applicants and will advise the applicant to return at another date.
- Examination date is on October 20, 2019.
To help interested applicants, the DOST-SEI has also provided a reviewer for the DOST-SEI Undergraduate Scholarship Examination. You may download it here.
More from Smart Parenting