- Money Pinay Mom Says This Work At Home Job Lets You Earn Up To P100K Monthly
- Inspiration Quality Bonding Time For This Family Means Making Face Shields For Frontliners
- Home Did You Know This Common Household Item Is (Almost) As Dirty As Your Toilet?
- Money Credit Card o Debit Card: Alin Ang Mas Magandang Pambayad?
Join the next Smart Parenting Giveaway and get a chance to win exciting prizes!Join Now
Prepare for Approaching Supertyphoon PepengWith ‘Pepeng’ gaining strength and expecting to make landfall by Saturday, it’s best to be on the safe side. Equip yourself and your family for a possible emergency situation and evacuation.
Nathaniel Cruz, PAGASA director for operations has said in a press briefing that “This [typhoon] could be like ‘Reming’. We are not just talking here about Metro Manila. We are talking of the entire Luzon area where there is probability of devastation in terms of flooding...and wind." ‘Reming’ (international code name Durian) was a super-typhoon that hit our country in 2006, killing least 734 people.
According to the DOST-PAGASA website http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/ , ‘Pepeng’ has already been spotted east of Virac, Catanduanes with maximum sustained winds of 195 kph. It is forecast to move West Northwest at 19 kph.
Given this bulletin, it’s best for families to stay safe and prepare for not just more flooding but strong winds, lack of water and electricity and possible evacuation.
Some immediate steps you can take:
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Charge everything that needs to be charged—mobile phones, radios, laptops, emergency lights, etc.
- Gather flashlights, candles, batteries, and first aid kit
- Have enough water supply for emergency
- Board your windows in case objects start to fly outdoors.
Here is a list of resources to prepare for the incoming supertyphoon:
- Typhoon Preparation and Checklist
- Prepare a first aid emergency kit
- Know how long food keeps fresh
- List of evacuation centers compiled by the Ateneo de Manila University
- Emergency Preparedness and Response (including what to do if you are ordered to evacuate) compiled by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Preventing Illness and Injury After A Flood also from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- For a list of relief centers for Typhoon Ondoy and possible resource centers in case of Typhoon Pepeng
- For a typhoon update, monitor the DOST-PAGASA website
Image: DOST-PAGASA MTSAT-EIR Satellite Image for 9 a.m., 02 Oct. 2009
View More Stories About
- Prepare For Approaching Supertyphoon ‘Pepeng’
- equip yourself
- lack of water
- mobile phones
- emergency lights
- first aid kit
- board windows
- evacuation centers
- disease control
- relief centers
Trending in Summit Network