- Real Parenting Dads Became Weekend Warriors To Earn P10K To P15K Extra A Month
- Fitness & Nutrition How This Single Mom Lost 12 Pounds And Trimmed 5 Inches Off Her Waistline At Home
- Real Parenting 'Don't Lie Down During Class': Mom Shares Rules For Daughter Learning At Home
- Home Tamad Magdilig Ng Halaman? You Can't Kill Houseplants With This Method!
Mayor Joy Belmonte On School Suspensions: 'It's Based On Information Not Popularity'The mayor of Quezon City was bashed for not suspending classes early.by Kitty Elicay .
President Rodrigo Duterte announced last night, March 9, 2020, that classes in all Metro Manila schools are suspended starting March 10 until March 14 due to the threat of COVID-19. As of the latest count, there are 24 people who have contracted the virus.
The announcement was made following a meeting with members of an inter-agency task force including the Cabinet secretaries and National Capital Region (NCR) mayors. Before that, several local government units (LGUs) and schools had already declared suspension.
Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte faced backlash for suspending classes only after the meeting, so she took to her personal Facebook account to address her constituents and explain why it took so long to make the announcement.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
“I got 20k bashes today for not suspending school in QC before the meeting was over because I knew that the pros and cons were going to be discussed there and that it would be premature to make a decision without knowing all the facts,” she wrote in a Facebook post.
She adds, “Well, my 20k bashes, even if they were 40k bashes, no longer affect me. In fact, they make me proud because I know I make decisions based on information not on the desire for popularity or acceptance.”
In her post, the mayor explains that the Secretary of Education, Leonor Briones, “argued vehemently against suspension,” saying that children are much safer inside schools, “where they can be monitored by their teachers and principal rather than at home alone while their parents worked, or worse, at the mall.” On the other hand, the Department of Health suggested measures like a lockdown, including suspension of school, work, and transportation for 14 days.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
President Duterte believed that the number of people who were positive for COVID-19 were still too low to consider a total lockdown “so he opted for a middle ground — that is school suspension until Saturday.”
“It took him hours to reach that decision,” Mayor Belmonte wrote. “He analyzed. He consulted. He reconsidered his decision once or twice before settling on one he was comfortable with.”
In a report by Manila Bulletin, President Duterte said the decision to suspend classes for four days was to keep the children safe as well as “establish a benchmark kung ilan pa ang madagdagan (how many positive cases will be added). At kung ngayon itong walang klase (if there are no classes), would it somehow reduce the number of victims,” he said.
In her post, Mayor Belmonte reminded her constituents that she would not allow a “mob” to influence her decisions. “People attacked me for being indecisive and weak. On the contrary, I am decisive and strong,” she wrote. “I will decide based on information and sound analysis.”ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Three out of the 24 people who contracted COVID-19 are from Quezon City, according to reports.
Worried about COVID-19? Click here to know why and how we can beat the virus.
What other parents are reading
Trending in Summit Network