embed embed2
  • Mataas Na Inunan: Did Woman Who Died After Childbirth Suffer From A Retained Placenta?

    Her husband laments that 6 hospitals refused to admit her before she eventually died
    by Lei Dimarucut-Sison .
  • A 26-year-old woman who gave birth at home with the help of a midwife has died after six hospitals allegedly refused to admit her for treatment.

    Katherine Zeta Bulatao gave birth to her third child on Friday afternoon, April 24. After delivering the baby, complications arose.

    "Ang sinabi po sa akin nung nagpaanak sa kanya na hindi na daw po niya kayang palabasin yung inunan. Pero yung bata po nakalabas na," Katherine's mother Erma told GMA News.

    According to the American Pregnancy Association, the placenta, or "inunan" should normally follow within 30 minutes of the baby's birth. When the body does not expel the placenta, also known as a retained placenta, it can be life-threatening for the mother as it can cause infection or extreme blood loss.

    Erma added that the midwife advised them to bring Katherine to a hospital to undergo surgery. 

    What other parents are reading

    They first brought the patient to a nearby midwife clinic. "Pinutol ‘yong pusod noong bata tapos sabi nila hindi na raw din nila kaya, ilipat na namin ng ospital,” Erma added.

    Midwife Mary Joy Francisco of Dalagan-Ciudadano Midwife Clinic in Caloocan says that by the time the patient was brought in, she looked pale and was only half-conscious.

    "Nag-cut agad ako ng cord. After no'n yung baby hiniwalay ko agad sa nanay," she said.

    "Pagkapa ko, ang taas ng inunan. Nagtawag ako ng bantay, yung kasama nya. Sabi ko maghanap ng sasakyan transfer ng hospital kasi sobrang taas nung inunan niya."

    Katherine was brought to North Caloocan Doctors Hospital, but her family was told that the hospital does not have enough supply of blood. 


    At the Far Eastern University Hospital, they were allegedly required to give a downpayment of Php 30,000 for the operation. The family said they pleaded with the hospital personnel to take the Php 5,000 cash they had with them at the time just so Katherine could be attended to already, but they refused.

    John Christian Bulatao, Katherine's husband, says they brought his wife to 3 more hospitals in Bulacan, but were told that there was no obstetrician-gynecologist on duty.

    Katherine was declared dead on arrival at the San Jose Del Monte General Hospital.

    John said they are looking into filing a complaint against the hospitals that refused admission.

    "Parang unfair po kasi hindi man lang nila chineck ‘yong vitals noong pasyente bago nila i-advise sa’min na i-transfer sa ibang ospital muna. Para at least malalaman namin kung ayos pa, kung kaya pa ba, aabot pa ba sa susunod na pupuntahan.” 

    What other parents are reading

    Recommended Videos
  • You're almost there! Check your inbox.

    We sent a verification email. Can't find it? Check your spam, junk, and promotions folder.
Don't Miss Out On These!
View More Stories About
Trending in Summit Network
View more articles