My daughter started home schooling when she was seven years old, she was at level 2 at the time. However, before I made this choice, I heard a lot of things about home schooling. Most of them were about the disadvantages. Below are some facts that helped me make my decision to home school my big kid.
1. It’s cheaper. No uniforms, no bus services fee and less school supplies… I mean much less school supplies. My daughter only needs pencils, crayons and sometimes colored paper or cartolina for her projects and experiments but mostly we use recycled items or scrap paper found at home.
2. There is less stress on both the student and the parent (the one who looks after the student at home). Though we have allotted time to study, there’s no stress on absorbing every lesson at one time. She doesn’t have to wait for others to finish their work or she doesn’t have to cram or to catch up with others just to move on to other lessons. The PACES (Parent and Child Educational Services) were also designed for your big kid to understand the lessons easily.
3. The home school educational system adheres to individualization to meet specific learning needs and capabilities. It also incorporates character building and wisdom principles.
4. No frustrations. Do you know that being the lowest in class even if it’s not a failing grade frustrates our kids? Or even having too many mistakes in a quiz frustrates them? At my big kid’s school, there are certain rules in correcting mistakes and scoring such that she doesn’t need to get frustrated.
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
5. Kids learn to work well independently. My daughter works with minimum supervision and takes the initiative to find solutions to problems and analyze examples to learn new procedures on her own.
Click here for more reasons to home school your child.