- Inspiration This #HeroTeacher Goes From House To House In The Mountains To Reach Her Students
- Preschooler Match Made By Pros! This Service Will Find You The Best Tutor For Your Child
- Real Parenting 'Dami Ko Sermon Sa Mga Bagets': How Parents Cope With 3 Biggest Work-From-Home Challenges
- Preschooler Ito Ang Mga Sangkap Sa Isang Matagumpay Na Distance Learning Program
Toddler PoisoningIn the U.S., one-fifth of all accidental poisonings happen during toddlerhood, or when a baby turns two. At this age, children love to explore with their hands and mouths, tasting almost anything that looks appealing. They especially love pills, sweet medicines, cigarettes and matches.
- Prevention tips:
- Childproof your medicine cabinets to avoid the possibility of kids coming in contact with poisonous substances.
- Keep detergents and solvents out of reach by locking the cabinets where these chemicals are stored.
- Avoid putting harmful substances in containers whose original contents were harmless. For instance, don’t put kerosene in soda bottles. Though if left with no other options, label the container with big, bold letters.
- Dr. Sylvia Bernardino, a pediatrician and lecturer at St. Luke’s Medical Center College of Medicine, also points out everyday substances that have the potential to become dangerous if left in the hands of a baby: perfume, liquid foundation and creams. These cosmetic products may look like irresistible play things to babies, so they should be kept out of reach.
First AidADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
- Take the poisonous substance away from your child immediately so she doesn’t swallow more of it.
- Get the child to spit out any of the substance that may still be in her mouth. Don’t induce vomiting; this might force the substance up through your child’s lungs or throat, which can prove more harmful.
- If the poison is not acidic, such as an excessive amount of vitamins, Dr. Bernardino suggests giving water or milk to wash away or dilute the swallowed substance.
If your child ingested a more potent substance like detergent or prescription medicine, bring her to the doctor immediately. Bring the container of the substance so that doctors can determine the harmful ingredients and administer proper treatment.
Photography by Ocs Alvarez
Do you have any stories to share regarding children getting poisoned? Share them with us. Fill up the comment form below.
View More Stories About
Trending in Summit Network