- Getting Pregnant Alamin Ang Mga Dahilan Kung Bakit Dinudugo ang Buntis
- Toddler Nap Time Provides a Direct Benefit To Learning: 3 Tips To Implement It
- Preschooler 8 Cute And Comfortable Face Masks Your Kids Are Sure To Love (Buy Them Online!)
- News Sexual Predators Online Are Thriving: 'Nakakapanlumo Ang Mga Pages At Groups'
Your Child's Milestones (2 Years Old): Baby Talks and Wants to Run!At 24 months, your tot can now say simple sentences like "drink milk!"
Happy 2nd birthday to your little one -- she's now a toddler! Becoming a tot comes with a lot of exciting developmental changes. From 18 to 24 months old, she may now confidently walk on her own (even run a little!), do things by herself like eat with a spoon, and express herself in words.
With guidance from Special Education teacher Joji Reynes-Santos, pediatric neurologist Dr. Leoncia Que-Firmalo, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the Ages and Stages Questionnaires, a tool used by pediatricians for screening a child's development, below are developmental milestones most babies reach by the time they're 2 years old.
But first, take note:
- Wait until your child's second birthday before observing your toddler for his 2-year-old milestones. Every child is different. Some reach their milestones earlier, and others a little later.
- Make sure your child is well-rested and fed. The items on this list may require you and your tot to engage in simple activities. Fussiness may make it harder to get accurate observations.
- At 24 months old, the AAP recommends a child to be screened for autism and general development. Talk to your child’s pediatrician and ask his opinion.
- Talk to your child’s doctor at every well-baby visit about the milestones your child has reached. Always consult with a pediatrician who will address your concerns and be able to inform you on what to expect next.
More from Smart ParentingADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
What most toddlers can do at 2 years old:
- Stands on tiptoe
- Begins to run
- Kicks and throws a ball
- Climbs stairs with help
- Able to feed self with a spoon
- Carries a large toy or several things while walking
Cognitive or mental development
- Finds objects that have been moved or hidden (ex. a stuffed toy under two layers of blankets)
- Sorts by shapes and colors
- Begins to play pretend or make-believe
- Follows two-step instructions (ex. “Pick up your toys and put them in the basket.”)
- Scribbles and can copy straight lines and circles
- Builds a tower of four or more blocks
- Might use one hand more than the other
Social and emotional development
- Likes to copy others, especially adults or older children
- Gets excited when with other children
- Expresses affection and sympathy (ex. hugs people she is familiar with)
- Begins to develop fears
- Starts to be more defiant or disobedient
- Starts to throw temper tantrums
- Becomes increasingly independent (ex. washes his hands on his own)
- Separation anxiety peaks then starts to fade
Language and communication developmentADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Can string two to four words together to form simple sentences (ex. “Mama, read book”)
- Knows the names of familiar people, objects in picture books, toys, body parts, etc.
- Repeats words overheard in conversation
- Can use pronouns (like “I”, “she”, “ako”, “ikaw”, etc.)
- Hums or tries to sing familiar songs
Children develop at different rates, says the AAP. However, it’s important you still bring up any red flag concerns with a pediatrician. According to the CDC, talk to your child’s doctor if your 2-year-old:
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Doesn't use two-word phrases (ex. “drink milk”)
- Doesn't know what to do with common things like a brush, phone, spoon, etc.
- Doesn't copy actions and words
- Doesn't follow simple instructions
- Doesn't walk steadily or only walks on his toes
- Loses skills she can previously do (ex. already started walk but has now went back to crawling)
Trending in Summit Network