You know you're a certified tita when you can't understand half of what the kids are saying. As a parent, we try to play it cool, but we're definitely raising an eyebrow when we hear our kids or their friends say words that seem totally alien. And, of course, we want to find out what it means.
Youth lingo can be really, really confusing especially when a term is so creative, it goes through up to six degrees of translations. So we're here to help you get with the times...or just to solve your confusion. Here are 10 super creative terms kids are using these days that will make you say, "Taba ng utak!"
1. Scoobs What we thought it meant:Shorthand for scuba diving What it actually means:Hell no How it got there:Scoobs - Scooby Doo - Great Dane - Dane - Dein - No Example: "Are you going to Laboracay?" "Scoobs, bro! Couldn't find business class tickets eh!"
2. Mom Jeans What we thought it meant: Jeans that moms wear What it actually means: High and wasted How it got there:Mom jeans - high-waisted - high wasted - high and wasted Example:"Dude I'm so mom jeans." "What?" "High and wasted, bro."
3. Gumps What we thought it meant:Shorthand for goosebumps...or a disease What it actually means:Thanks How it got there:Gumps - Forrest Gump - Tom Hanks - T. Hanks - Thanks Example:"Heyyy, I love your new hair!" "OMG, guuumps!"
4. Carps What we thought it meant:Comprehensive Agrarian Reform...or shorthand for carpet What it actually means:Are you game? How it got there: Carps - Carpet - Rug - RUG - Are you G? - Are you game? Example:"Japan next month, carps?"
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
5. Pics What we thought it meant: Pictures What it actually means:I am game. How it got there:Pics - Pictures - Images - IMG - I am G - I am game Example: "Pool Club tonight with the squad?" "Pics!"
6. Sharks What we thought it meant: Marine animals What it actually means: Can I see? How it got there: Sharks - Pating - Patingin - Can I see? Example: "I swear his six-pack is TDF!" "Sharks?!!"
7. Starbs What we thought it meant: Shorthand for Starbucks What it actually means:Copy How it got there:Starbs - Starbucks - Coffee - Copy Example:"Do you have the new episode of GoT? Starbs naman, oh!"