- Baby 40 Water-Inspired Baby Names for Your Little Mermaid or Merman
- Toddler Namamana Ba? There May Be More to a Child's Hand Preference Than His Genes
- News Beware: Alcoholic Drinks That Look Like Ready-to-Drink Juice for Kids Are in Supermarkets
- News DOH Rejects Sanofi's Appeal to Lift Ban on Dengvaxia Vaccine
Join the next Smart Parenting Giveaway and get a chance to win exciting prizes!Join Now
Home remedies for sick breastfeeding momsWhen you can’t take medication, natural methods are the way to go!by Anne Macalino-Santos .
As they say, breastfeeding is best for babies. What they don't often say is that it is also best for mommies! Aside from the fact that breastfeeding helps you quickly shed those pounds gained from pregnancy, it also makes you a healthier eater. It's no secret that whatever you take in, your baby does too, through your milk. Isn’t that wonderful? But what happens when you have a headache, a cold or cough, or even a fever? You can't exactly feed your baby analgesic flavored milk, can you? Let the pill-popper in you take a backseat and try exploring these home remedies gathered from family and friends (most of which I thought were old wives tales – NOT!) to get you up and about and feeling all better.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Home Remedy for Sore Throat or Cough
(So much better that warm water and salt solution)
- 1 cup of water
- honey or sugar (optional)
- Clean and peel and chop a small piece ginger.
- Place ginger in pot of water and boil.
- Let it boil for five minutes to make ginger juice.
- Add sweetener if desired.
- Gargle once juice is warm (or drink if you're brave enough)
Home Remedy For Joint Pain (works like magic!)
- Your favorite mentholated vapor rub
Procedure: (before going to sleep at night)
- Rub the vapor rub on the soles of your feet (yes, you read it right).
- Put on your favorite sleeping socks.
Home Remedy For a Cold or Fever
- 4 Garlic Cloves chopped
- Bowl of boiling water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Boil garlic gloves in water for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy your garlic soup!
It actually works faster if you eat the garlic raw.
Home Remedy for a Stuffy Nose
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Bowl of hot water
- Your favorite mentholated vapor rub or eucalyptus extract (you can get this in Mercury Drugstore)
- Mix salt, vapor rub in the bowl of hot water.
- Put your face over the bowl.
- Put a towel over your head.
- Inhale the steam from the solution.
Home Remedy for a Slight Fever or Flu
- Chicken with chicken bones
- Pot of water
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Boil chicken (make sure you put all the bones in there)
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add other desired ingredients for good ol' chicken soup
Now you don't have to worry about medicating yourself while breastfeeding your baby. But if you aren’t getting any better, it may be time to consult your doctor.
What's your personal home remedy for sick breastfeeding moms? We'd love to know. Fill up the comment form below.