embed embed2
  • 4 Agencies you should Visit after Giving Birth

    Now that the baby is born, there's more work to do! File these documents early, or have someone reliable do it as soon as possible.
    by Julian Vorpal . Published Jan 12, 2012
  • mom and newborn

    Paperwork can be a headache, even more so if you’ve been in labor for 33 hours and are lying in recovery, head full of floating elephants after being pumped up with enough Demerol to make Lindsay Lohan happy. Here’s a handy guide for the documents you should prepare so all will be well for you and your little bundle of joy, legally, medically and financially.

    # 1: Philhealth
    Before you decide on a hospital where you will give birth, make sure that they are connected with Philhealth, if you are a member. You can find this out from the hospital’s billing department (you must also confirm the same if you’re getting coverage from another health care provider, but more on that later). Although a normal birth can cost between P12,000 to 15,000, some hospitals could end up charging as much as P80,000 or more if the delivery is through a caesarean section, or if there are complications. You can opt to forgo the hospital and deliver in your own home, but Philhealth won’t cover that.

    For employed mothers, ideally, the mother must secure and fill out a Philhealth form from her employer before confinement (or during confinement if it can’t be helped), which will be signed by both her employer and her attending physician . The form is then submitted to the Philhealth department of the hospital (for Philhealth-accredited hospitals). The hospital will then send Philhealth the bill to determine the amount to be shouldered by the agency based on your level of coverage. The members pay for any amount in excess of the Philhealth coverage.

    If the birth is sudden and the parents are unable to submit the form sooner, parents must file the claim from the Philhealth office as a refund after the birth. This can be submitted to the Philhealth office nearest the mother’s employer’s address.

    If you have another private health card, you can choose to use Philhealth or your alternative health card, or both, if, for any reason, hospital expenses exceed the coverage of either providers.

      1  of  3  NEXT

View More Stories About
Trending in Summit Network
View more articles