- Money 7 Money Secrets Of A Family Thriving On A Single Income Household
- Getting Pregnant 7 Ways To Prepare Yourself Physically And Mentally For Pregnancy
- Baby Addicted Si Mommy Sa Disney! Paano Gayahin Ang DIY Milestone Photoshoot Nila
- Wellness Loved 'Crash Landing On You'? 9 More Series For The K-Drama Newbie
Join the next Smart Parenting Giveaway and get a chance to win exciting prizes!Join Now
10 Family Resolutions for a Healthy LifestyleFollow these simple tips to make your family fit and hip.
Why not try to have a makeover for you and your family? It's never too late to try these resolutions for a healthier family.
1. We will eat breakfast. Don’t just head out the door after the sun rises! Take time to enjoy a hearty family breakfast as it fuels up the rest of the day. Make sure that first meal includes a good amount of protein and fiber.
2. We will avoid sugar. Sodas and other high-sugar drinks are tasty summer coolers, but that artificial rush isn’t good for you and your little ones! “Replace these with natural fruit juices and water, so your kids won’t get dehydrated when playing,” says Luz Callanta, nutritionist and professor of the College of Home Economics at the University of the Philippines-Diliman in Quezon City. For your mid-morning or afternoon snack, reach for a fruit, instead of a bag of chips or sweets.
3. We will always choose “fresh.” It’s easy to chuck leftovers in the microwave for a quick hunger fix. But “when you use a microwave to cook, the water molecules in the food are exposed to intense heat, producing strong oxidants, which can cause damage to the body,” explains Melchor Tuquero, M.D., family physician at the Dasmariñas Village Clinic in Makati City and a diplomate of the Philippine Academy of Family Physicians. Plan your weekly meals before hitting the grocery store so your family enjoys a freshly made dish every time.
4. We will include all the food groups in our menu. Include more kinds of food during mealtimes. Instead of just the usual pork or beef, make fish a weekly staple and get a good dose
of Omega-3 fatty acids. Veggies may not be popular among the young ones, but your kids will learn to like them if you take the lead. If not, chop them finely and sneak them in your family meals, suggests Dr. Tuquero. The sooner you start them eating healthy, the safer your kids will be from illnesses like obesity and diabetes.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
5. We will choose home-cooked meals over take-outs. Cooking your family meals can save you from unwanted amounts of salt and fat usually found in processed and fast food. Make home-cooked meals healthier by frying with olive oil or corn oil. Avoid overcooking your vegetables; it strips away the nutritients. For more kid-friendly meals, go easy on the spices; they can overpower natural food flavors, says Callanta.
Click here to read more family resolutions for a healthier lifestyle.1 of 2 NEXT