- Baby Pagpili Ng Ninong At Ninang: 5 Magagandang Katangian Na Dapat Mong Hanapin
- Home 8 Air Purifiers You Can Buy For The Home, Starting At P2,450
- News DOH Confirms First Case Of Polio In Metro Manila
- Health & Nutrition That Sadness, Doubt And Guilt You Feel Postpartum May Not Be Depression But 'Matrescence'
Join the next Smart Parenting Giveaway and get a chance to win exciting prizes!Join Now
4 Make-In-Bulk Recipes So You Don't Have To Cook Baon Every DayCook once and eat for the rest of the week or even later!by Rafael Alfonso .
You need to spend a good amount of time in the kitchen to prepare good food everyday, and that can take a lot of energy whether you are a stay-at-home or working mom. But we all know nothing beats a home-cooked meal, and it's a great way to save money.
What most people do is do bulk cooking during the weekend. They prepare and cook the meals on a Saturday or Sunday that can be easily easily packed and reheated over the next five weekdays. Below are four recipes you can try to see which one works for the weekday lunch hustle.
Hoisin Sauce One-Pan Chicken And Veggies
An easy to prepare baked chicken recipe, you can store this in the fridge for up to four days. Reheat in microwave when ready to eat. Serves 4ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 bunches green bean/Baguio beans
- 1 ¼ lb chicken breast tender, skinless (565 g)
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ½ cup hoisin sauce (can be changed depending on preference)
How to cook
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Cut sweet potatoes into slim strips, and spread evenly onto a parchment lined baking tray.
3. Season sweet potatoes with olive oil, pepper, and salt.
4. Bake for 20 minutes then set aside.
5. Spread green beans/baguio beans evenly on baking tray next to the sweet potatoes. Season with olive oil, pepper, and salt.
6. Season chicken with pepper and salt. Place on top of the veggies.
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 75°C.
8. Distribute veggies and chicken into four containers.
9. Pour the hoisin sauce onto the chicken.
One-Pan Veggie and Sausage BowlADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- 2 cups red potato
- ¾ pound green beans/Baguio beans
- 1 large head of broccoli (approx. 1 and 1/2 cups)
- 1 ½ cups chopped bell peppers
- 250 g smoked sausage (for healthier options, use turkey or chicken sausage)
- 6 tbsps olive oil
- ¼ tbsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
How to cook
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Line a large sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
3. Chop the red potatoes into small cubes/slices (smaller allows quicker cooking).
4. Trim the green beans and halve.
5. Chop the broccoli, chop the peppers, and coin the sausage in thick slices.
6. Place all the veggies and sausage on a sheet pan. Pour the olive oil and all the spices on top. Toss to evenly coat all the veggies and meat.
7. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and flip/stir all the veggies around. Return to oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender and sausage is browned.
Freezable Breakfast Burritos
This fun meal can be frozen for up to three months. To reheat: unwrap burrito and heat up for 45 to 60 seconds OR until heated through in a microwave. Letting the burrito thaw or cutting it in half helps the cooking process. Makes 8 burritosADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- 250 g breakfast or pork sausage
- 400 g frozen diced potatoes
- 6 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons half and half see note
- 8 medium size tortillas
- 90 g shredded cheese
- 1 tb butter
More from Smart Parenting
How to cook
1. In a medium pan, cook sausage until done. Place on a plate and set aside. (If the sausage had a lot of grease, drain and wipe the pan carefully with a paper towel.)
2. Thaw potatoes and set aside.
3. To the same pan, add a tablespoon of butter and melt.
4. In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs with half and half, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Pour egg mixture into the pan with butter, and swirl with spatula. Scramble thoroughly.
6. Lay out tortillas on a cutting board. Top with an equal amount of filling, starting with eggs, sausage, then potatoes. Top with cheese. Fold in sides of the tortilla to the center. Roll up burrito-style.
7. Wrap burritos in sheets of freezer paper and place in Ziploc bag.
Chicken Jar Salads
This is a light and healthy salad that will last for three days in the refrigerator. Serves 4ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
For the salad
- 2 skinless chicken half breast fillets
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 apple, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup grapes, halved
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce, chopped*
- ½ cup pecans, toasted
For the dressing
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- Salt and pepper
More from Smart Parenting
How to prepare and cook the chicken
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Cook in a medium pan with a little oil until browned on one side, 2-3 minutes.
3. Flip chicken and brown on second side, about 2 minutes.
4. Pour in water so that it reaches halfway up the sides of the chicken; cover skillet with lid.
5. Continue cooking chicken until it is cooked through.
6. Remove chicken to a plate to cool.
How to prepare the salad
1. Whisk together dressing ingredients. Taste and add a bit more honey (1/2 teaspoon) if desired. Divide dressing evenly between four 16-ounce mason jars.
2. Toss the apple pieces with 2 teaspoons lemon juice.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
3. Once the chicken is cooled, chop it into bite-sized pieces.
4. Divide the remaining salad ingredients between the four mason jars, in this order: celery, chicken, apple, grapes, lettuce, pecans. Seal jars with lids and refrigerate.
5. When ready, shake mason jar and pour into bowl.
Don't be afraid to let your little one get involved in preparing meals! Click here to learn about recipes you can whip up with your tot.