embed embed2
  • Birth Certificate Late Registration: A Step-By-Step Guide

    Filing a late registration for your child's birth certificate entails a more rigid process
    by May de Jesus-Palacpac .
Birth Certificate Late Registration: A Step-By-Step Guide
  • The birth certificate is one of the most important documents you will need to establish your identity. Every institution in the Philippines will require you to submit a copy of your birth certificate from the Philippine Statistics Office (PSA), from the time you become a part of the educational system up until adulthood. 

    You will also need your birth certificate when you apply for government-issued IDs, including your passport, when you apply for work, all the way to your retirement when you claim your benefits and file for pension and insurance claims. Thus, filing the birth certificate with the proper agency is very important. 

    The responsibility of registering the birth of a child falls on your attending physician at the hospital where you gave birth, or your doula or midwife if delivery happened in a lying-in clinic or at home.

    Filing the birth certificate at the local civil registry is free, but it must be done within 30 days after the child’s birth. Beyond the 30-day period, the child’s birth certificate will have to be filed under late registration, which has a more rigid process. 

    What other parents are reading

    Steps for late registration of birth certificate for Philippine-born applicants

    1. Visit your local civil registry.

    Recommended Videos

    Go to your local civil registry and confirm that there is no existing record of the child’s birth. 

    The reason for this is because there are instances when the local civil registry has the child’s birth certificate but has not yet forwarded it to the PSA. In this case, all you need to do is file a formal request for the document to be forwarded to the PSA office. 

    If your child has no records with the local civil registry, you can start applying for one.

    2. Verify with the PSA that your child has no record of birth in their database.

    Visit any PSA office near you. (Click here for a list of PSA branches) If it is confirmed that your child has no existing records in the PSA database, you will be issued a Negative Intent or Negative Results Certification (NRC) which you will use to apply for your child’s birth certificate.


    3. Prepare the necessary documents. 

    Here are the documents you need to bring for late registration of your child’s birth certificate:

    • Negative Results Certification or NRC
    • Baptismal Certificate
    • Marriage contract of the parents (if married) or acknowledgement of the biological father and a copy of his Community Tax Certificate (CTC), if not married. 
    • 4 copies of the Certificate of Live Birth carrying the signature of your physician, doula or midwife.
    • Affidavit of late registration accomplished by the child’s father, mother, or guardians, explaining the reason why the birth was not declared within 30 days. 
    • Affidavit of 2 witnesses who were there at the child’s birth.
    • Your most current Community Tax Certificate.
    • Three documents that prove the validity of the full name, date of birth, and birthplace of the child.

    Other documents that may be considered are the child’s school records, parents’ income tax return, insurance policies, medical records, and barangay captain’s certification.


    Don’t forget to bring the child’s valid IDs which indicate her full name and birthday, if any. 

    The birth date in the ID must match the birth date in the birth certificate; otherwise, your application will not be processed. 

    4. Submit the documents at the local civil registry that has jurisdiction over your child’s place of birth.

    Assessment and processing may take 5 days more or less, after which you can already pick up your child’s birth certificate. 

    If the child’s place of birth is too far from your current location, you may go to the civil registry closest to you and request them to endorse the documents to the civil registry at your child’s place of birth. 

    You will be charged an endorsement fee to process this request. 

    What other parents are reading

    Late registration of birth certificate for Filipinos born in a foreign country

    If your child was born in a foreign country, you will have to apply for a Philippine-issued birth certificate in person at the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) office. 


    The documents you need to submit must include 5 accomplished and notarized forms of Report of Baby, an authenticated foreign birth certificate translated into English (if necessary), passport or travel documents, report of marriage of parents (if married), or affidavit of use of father’s name (AUSF) if not married, and passports of the applicant’s parents. 

    You will also need to bring 5 recent passport sized photos of the child, a DFA-authenticated Birth Certificate of both of the applicant’s parents, and an affidavit of delayed registration for registrants above one year. Fees will depend on the local civil registry. 

    The documents will be evaluated to determine if your child is qualified for an issuance of a Philippine Birth Certificate, or if you need to submit further proof. 

    Whether you are based in the Philippines or living outside the country, as long as you can present documents that will solidly prove your child’s identity and date of birth, you will be able to apply for a birth certificate so he can enjoy the same benefits Filipino citizens enjoy. 

    What other parents are reading

View More Stories About
Trending in Summit Network
View more articles