- Labor & Childbirth Why C-Section Moms Are Brave: The Serious Risks They Face During Delivery
- Toddler Having Good Grades Is Not The Only Way A Child Will Excel In Life, Says Psychologist
- Wellness Embracing Mom Bod! 6 Moms Say Bye To Insecurities, Hello Sexy And Strong Body
- Family Fun The Peninsula Manila Has A Terrific Staycation Deal For Moms And Their Families
Family Mourns Toddler Who Died Of Electrocution After Plugging Spoon Into ExtensionHere are lifesaving tips if it happens to your child.by Kitty Elicay .
In a Facebook post that went viral yesterday, February 22, 2021 a user named Mharc Louise Angara shared photos of 2-year-old, Jake Calimlim, and wrote how he was mourning the loss of his beloved nephew. In another post, Mharc shared a few details surrounding the child's death.
“What happened to Jake? It was an accident, electric shock. He’s only 2 years old, naisuksok niya po ‘yung kutsara sa extension na nakasaksak,” Mharc wrote.
“No one [wants] that to happen, as of the moment we’re still shocked about it and it’ll be hard for us to move forward but we need to,” he adds.
Before his death, Jake had just recently celebrated his 2nd birthday on February 7.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
In a news report by Saksi, Jake’s mother, Eloisa Angara, shared that the incident happened last Friday, February 19, after her son requested for milk. She then left the spoon, which she used to prepare the milk, out of her son’s reach.
“Noong time na bubuksan ko na ‘yung pintuan, may pumutok. Kinabahan ako, akala ko may nalaglag lang… napasigaw na ‘yung asawa ko. Ang sabi niya, ‘si Jake, na-ground,'” Eloisa recalls.
Apparently, Jake was able to reach the spoon, which he plugged into their extension. They rushed the toddler to the hospital but unfortunately, the little boy had already passed away.
In the short interview, Eloisa expressed her regret because it seems she was not there when the incident happened. “Sana hindi ko na lang siya iniwan sa taas. Sana hinawakan ko na lang siya, sana inalagaan ko na lang siya sa baba,” she shared.
How electric shock injuries happen in childrenADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
According to BabyCenter, “an electric shock happens when your child comes in direct physical contact with electricity — by biting an electrical cord or poking a metal object into an outlet, for example — and the current runs through his body.”
The effects will vary from minor to severe depending on the “source, voltage, and strength of the current, as well as how long the contact with your child lasts.”
Parents puts it into perspective. “If your toddler touches a household current, he’ll likely pull his hand away in time to prevent serious harm. But if he grabs an electrical appliance while standing in water or bites through an electrical cord, the 110-volt current that runs through most households can pass through his blood and nerves, knock him unconscious, and even stop his heart.”
In the Philippines, the usual voltage that runs through most households is 220 volts.
What to do when your child experiences an electric shockADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
All electrical injuries must be examined by a doctor, even when the child looks fine, according to Parents. Burns may not be apparent, but your child may have sustained internal injuries and symptoms may not appear until later.
If your child becomes unconscious, it is important that you immediately turn off the power source and separate your child from it. Avoid touching your child if he’s still in contact with the electrical source as the current can pass through you.
Check your child’s breathing and pulse. If your child has a pulse but is not breathing, tilt their chin up to open their airway and perform “rescue breathing,” says Parents.
For infants, cover their mouth and nose with your mouth and give them two quick puffs. For a child over 1, pinch their nose and give two breaths, sealing your mouth over theirs. Continue — “one breath every three seconds for children up to age 8, one breath every five seconds for kids 8 and older,” until the child can breathe again. Make sure to call for medical help or bring your child to the hospital right away.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
If the child does not have a pulse, perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation or CPR. Click here for the full instructions on how to perform one on an infant and child.
Check your child for burns once their breathing is restored. Apply a cool, wet cloth to first- and second-degree burns, usually marked by blisters, redness, and swelling. Avoid touching more serious burns — leathery skin that may look gray or black or charred, according to Parents — and instead get medical help immediately.
How to prevent an electric shock
No parent wants their child to suffer from electrical injuries. Prevention and childproofing are key.
Cover all electrical outlets. You may use outlet covers readily available in hardware or online stores like Shopee or Lazada. You may also click here to try a childproofing hack using baby wipe covers.
Investing in an automatic breaker or a ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) can also help. It is a “fast-acting circuit breaker” that can shut off electricity in 1/40 second when a ground-fault happens. The ground-fault can happen when a metallic object gets plugged in power outlets.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Click here to read more about GFCI and how it can help prevent electrocution.
Smart Parenting reached out to Eloisa Angara but have not received a reply.
What other parents are reading
Trending in Summit Network