- Travel Plan Your Vacation In The North! 6 Affordable Family-Friendly Resorts In Zambales
- Toddler 7 Simple Pieces Of Advice To Get Away From The 'Nakaugalian Na' Parenting Styles
- Love & Relationships P25,000 Ang Ginastos Ng Mag-Asawang Ito Para Sa Kanilang Simpleng Church Wedding
- News Antibiotics Taken During Pregnancy May Cause Heart Malformations In Babies, Study Says
Join the next Smart Parenting Giveaway and get a chance to win exciting prizes!Join Now
Kids Can End Up With Burns With Eraser Challenge and DIY SlimeBetter read this if you've heard your kids talk about playing "eraser" and making slime.
Now that school is out and summer is here, kids will have an abundance of time and freedom to get into all sorts of shenanigans. It’s enough reason for parents to be extra vigilant.
Abroad, the “eraser challenge” is once again gaining popularity but it can cause severe burns in kids. The “game” has many variations, but the most popular one involves several kids competing who can rub a rubber eraser on their skin the longest, while they sing the alphabet. The “winner” is often left with burns and cuts from the challenge, a mark of his feat.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Experts say that painful burns are not the worst this challenge can do. “Kids don't know this, but your skin isn't sterile, it's crawling and teeming with bacteria and when you open up your skin, that bacteria can crawl in and cause an infection,” pediatrician Dr. Wendy Sue Swanson told Today.
More from Smart Parenting
An activity trending among kids in the Philippines is DIY slime. At home, kids make it from household ingredients. Water, liquid soap, and coloring are added to the main ingredient, glue.
While these ingredients are usually safe to use, one slime recipe has been reported to have caused severe burns on the hands of an 11-year-old girl.
“She was like crying in pain, ‘My hands hurt, my hands hurt,’” Siobhan Quinn, mom of Kathleen, told local news CBS Philly. Kathleen was making homemade slime when her hands started to tingle and burned. She cried out for her parents, and she was immediately rushed to a hospital. Kathleen suffered painful blisters covering both her hands with second- and third-degree burns.
So what caused such a violent and alarming reaction? Doctors believed it was due to “extended exposure” to Borax, a household cleaner, used in the slime. Others speculate it was an allergic reaction or the Borax was not diluted properly.
Borax is supposed to be safe to use, but it is classified as a mild irritant. So stay on the safe side, and use baby powder or mild laundry detergent for your homemade slime since most of us don't know how these compounds will react when mixed.
You can also try other DIY projects with the kids; you can try making homemade play dough, paint or bubbles with just a few ingredients. We show you how here.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW