embed embed2
  • How To Apply For The SSS Unemployment Benefits Online

    Here are the steps to submit your application.
    by SmartParenting Staff .
How To Apply For The SSS Unemployment Benefits Online
PHOTO BY Jerome Ascano
  • Social Security System (SSS) members who have lost their jobs because of the COVID-19 pandemic can now apply for the unemployment benefits online. 

    Who qualifies for the unemployment benefit

    SSS’s unemployment benefit covers employees, including kasambahays and overseas Filipino worker (OFW) members, who suffered job loss because of retrenchment/downsizing, closure of business operations, and other reasons brought about by the coronavirus disease (CoVID-19) pandemic.

    The SSS member must have paid at least 36 monthly SSS contributions, wherein 12 months of it should have been paid within the last 18 months before the month of involuntary separation.

    Furthermore, the member must not be more than 60 years old at the time of involuntary separation, except for underground and surface mineworkers, and racehorse jockeys whose age should not be more than 50 and 55 years old, respectively.

    What other parents are reading

    How to submit your SSS unemployment benefit application online

    Before the online application of unemployment benefit, members should have their own My.SSS account through registration at the SSS website. Contact details, especially the mobile number, should also be registered in My.SSS account in case the member opted to receive their benefits through remittance centers.


    Disbursement accounts should also be enrolled in the respective My.SSS accounts through Bank Enrollment Module (BEM).

    Here are the steps to submit your application:

    1. Log on to your My.SSS account.
    2. Click “apply for unemployment benefits claim” under the E-Services tab.
    3. Provide all the pertinent information such as the active savings account enrolled through the Bank Enrollment Module (BEM), employment category, date of involuntary separation, the reason for involuntary separation, and the employer’s name where the member was separated.
    4. Read the certification carefully before clicking the “Submit” box to agree and proceed with the application.
    5. SSS will send a notification through email. Reply by attaching the scanned images of the certification issued by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) or by the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), together with the Notice of Termination from the Employer or Affidavit of Termination from Employment, whichever is applicable.
    6. SSS will once again send a notice through email regarding your unemployment benefits application.
    watch now

    “We would like to remind our members to double-check the encoded details before submitting their application to avoid any inconvenience brought by any erroneous entry such as bank account number and contact details. Also, secure your email and text notifications for future reference,” says SSS president and chief executive officer Aurora C. Ignacio.

    What other parents are reading

    How will I get the SSS unemployment benefit 

    The unemployment benefit will be released through various SSS payment faciliies such as

    • Unified Multi-purpose Identification (UMID) Card enrolled as ATM card
    • bank account in PESONet participating banks
    • electronic wallet (e.g., Paymaya)
    • remittance transfer companies/cash payout outlets (e.g., DBP Cash Padala thru MLhuiller)

    Unemployment benefit can only be availed once every three years, starting from the date of involuntary separation from work. SSS shall only pay the highest benefit from the recorded contingencies if two or more compensable contingencies occurred within the same period.

    As of May 2020, more than 900 members already availed of the unemployment benefits during the community quarantine from March 16 to May 31, with total disbursement amounting to Php11.76 million.


    “This is part of the SSS’ assistance package that intends to provide financial assistance to members and pensioners affected by the health crisis brought by COVID-19. We hope that our displaced members will immediately get a new job so that they can financially support themselves and their families,” Ignacio concluded.

    For more information, members may call the SSS hotline at 1455 or the Interactive Voice Response System facility at 7 917 7777. You also follow the official Facebook page @sssph and Instagram @Mysssph  for further updates.

    *Image used for illustration purposes only 

    What other parents are reading

View More Stories About
Trending in Summit Network
View more articles