A 7-year-old girl is the youngest casualty so far of COVID-19, the Department of Health (DOH) confirms, according to ABS-CBN News.
In a photo shared by ABS-CBN on Facebook, it identifies “PH2415” as a 7-year old from Region 1 who did not have any travel history. She died on March 26 and was confirmed to be COVID-19 positive five days later on March 31. The cause of death: “Hypovolemic shock secondary to acute gastroenteritis, severe dehydration, and pediatric community-acquired pneumonia.”
The DOH confirmation followed after several local news outlets reported her death last April 1 based on the report of local officials of San Fabian in Pangasinan. According to ABS-CBN News, Mayor Constante Agbayani said the girl was from Barangay Inmalog Sur. She was confined at La Union Medical Center in Agoo, La Union on March 26 and died that day.
According to the same news report, Agbayani said the girl was brought earlier to a rural health center due to diarrhea, nausea, and fever but was sent home later.
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
“Local officials are looking into the possibility the girl was infected by two relatives who came from Metro Manila and Nueva Vizcaya, two areas hit by COVID-19,” reports ABS-CBN News.
As of DOH’s latest report at 4 p.m., today, April 3, 2020, the Philippines has breached the 3000-mark of confirmed COVID-19 patients. The health agency reported an additional 385 new cases today for a total of 3,018 with 52 recoveries. The death toll is now at 136. DOH said, “The sudden spike in number of deaths is attributed to the late reporting of previous deaths.”
For the latest news on community quarantine and COVID-19, click here.