DOH Declares Code Red Alert With Six Cases Of COVID-19 Confirmed In PHThe DOH says one of the newly-confirmed cases occurred through local transmission.by Kate Borbon .
[UPDATE, as of March 8, 9:45 P.M.] Cainta Mayor Johnielle Keith Pasion Nieto declared a suspension of classes from March 7 to March 10 because the fifth COVID-19 patient, a 62-year-old male, is from Cainta.
In a Facebook post, the mayor said the move is meant "to provide ample opportunity for the general services office to distribute additional masks on top of the 50,000 pieces we have already distributed a couple of weeks ago."
Mayor Nieto said students of Cainta will be provided face masks, protective sanitizers and vitamin C as precaution against COVID-19. He also directed tricycle and PUJ drivers to wear masks.
As of March 8, 2020, the following have suspended classes on all levels for public and private
No classes until March 11
No classes until March 10
No classes on March 9
San Juan City
Original story below
On Saturday, March 7, 2020, the Department of Health raised the alert level to code red due to the continuing threat of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the country. In a press release, the DOH confirmed there are now six confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Philippines.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
According to the DOH’s statement, it raised the COVID-19 Alert System to Code Red sub-level 1 due to the confirmation of local transmission in the country and it also anticipates sustained community transmission. The agency says that “this is a preemptive call to ensure that national and local governments and public and private health providers can prepare for possible increase in suspected and confirmed cases.”CONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
“The DOH is currently exhausting all its efforts to identify others who may have come in contact with the confirmed cases to ensure that this localized transmission does not progress to community spread,” said Secretary Duque.
What other parents are reading
The DOH has also recommended to the Office of the President the declaration of a State of Public Health Emergency, which “will facilitate mobilization of resources, ease processes, including procurement of critical logistics and supplies, and intensifying reporting.”
The DOH explains, “At this stage of localized transmission, intensified contact tracing and home quarantine of close contacts of confirmed cases, improved hospital preparedness, enhanced Severe Acute Respiratory Illness surveillance, and activation of other laboratories outside of RITM to increase capacity to diagnose are now being implemented.”ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III continues to remind the public to practice “personal protective measures” such as washing their hands, social distancing, and proper cough etiquette. He also encourages Filipinos to avoid unnecessary travel and mass gatherings for the time being.
Of the six confirmed COVID-19 cases, three are Filipinos. One is a 48-year-old man who had previously traveled to Japan. He returned to the Philippines on February 25 and started having chills and a fever on March 3. He then sought medical attention at a hospital, where his samples were collected for testing. On March 5, his results tested positive for COVID-19.
The patient is now in stable condition and admitted at the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine. He is an employee of multinational professional services network Deloitte.
The other patient is a 62-year-old Filipino man with hypertension and diabetes but no history of travel outside the Philippines. He had experienced cough with phlegm on February 25. On March 1, he sought medical attention and was admitted due to severe pneumonia. On March 4, his samples were collected were testing, and on March 5, his results tested positive for COVID-19. His wife has also tested positive for COVID-19 after contact tracing was done.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
The other three are foreign nationals who traveled to the Philippines, as detailed in DOH's press statements. The first case is a 38-year-old Taiwanese male who visited the Philippines from February 28 to March 3. He developed abdominal discomfort and diarrhea on March 2, and experienced sore throat, fever, and malaise on March 3. The patient consulted at an outpatient clinic in Taiwan on March 4, and was confirmed positive for COVID-19 on March 5. The onset of symptoms on March 2 points to possible infection before the patient traveled to the Philippines.
The second case is a 44-year-old Japanese male who visited the Philippines from February 21 to 28. Prior to visiting the Philippines, he traveled to Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, and Japan. He stayed at three different hotels during his visit to Metro Manila. The 44-year-old flew back to Thailand last February 28 and experienced cough, shortness of breath, and fever which began on February 29. The patient consulted at a clinic in Cambodia on March 3 and was referred to a hospital but no tests were done. He flew back to Japan last March 4 and was tested positive for COVID-19. The patient was admitted and is still in isolation at Aichi Prefecture Hospital. The extensive travel history of the patient suggests possible contraction of the disease in another country.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
The third case is a female living in Sydney, Australia. The patient attended a wedding in Manila on February 13 and visited Pangasinan. The patient left the country for Sydney on March 2, and was confirmed with COVID-19 by the New South Wales Government on March 3. As for this case, DOH is still verifying information with the International Health Regulation National Focal Point Australia.
What other parents are reading
Trending in Summit Network