COVID-19 Cases Now At 10: DepEd Suspends All Student Events Except For TwoSo far, five local government units have suspended classes in all levels amid COVID-19 fears.by Kate Borbon .
In a statement released on Sunday, March 8, 2020, DepEd writes, “In light of recent developments in COVID-19, DepEd is suspending all scheduled national and regional events from different localities, such as the Palaro Regional Meets, until further notice.”
The only events exempted from this are the 2020 National Schools Press Conference (NSPC) and the National Festival of Talents (NFOT), which will still push through since delegates are already at the venues. Both are scheduled to happen from March 9 to 13. The NSPC will be held in Tuguegarao City, Cagayan province, while the NFOT will be held in Ilagan City, Isabela.
DepEd adds, “Decisions on other DepEd activities await definitive advisory from the IATF (Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases) that we hope to receive tomorrow, to ensure informed, coordinated and proportionate response.”ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
So far, five local government units have suspended classes in all levels amid COVID-19 fears. Read more here.
On March 8, the Department of Health (DOH) also announced four new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the total tally of COVID-19 cases in the Philippines to 10.
In a statement, the DOH explained that the samples from the new cases had been tested on Saturday, March 7, while the results were released on March 8.
The seventh case is a 38-year-old Taiwanese male with a history of contact with another Taiwanese foreign national who had tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan after visiting the Philippines. He has no history of travel outside of the Philippines. He started showing symptoms on March 3 and is now admitted to Makati Medical Center.
The eighth case is a 32-year-old Filipino male with a history of traveling to Japan within the last 14 days. He started showing symptoms on March 5 and is now admitted to St. Luke's Medical Center, Taguig City.CONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
The ninth case is an 86-year-old American male with preexisting hypertension and a history of travel to the United States and South Korea. He started showing symptoms on March 1 and is now admitted to The Medical City - Ortigas.
The 10th case is a 57-year-old Filipino male with no history of travel outside of the Philippines. The DOH says he was reported to have had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case, but the agency is currently investigating the details of his exposure. He is now admitted to St. Luke's Medical Center, Quezon City.
The Epidemiology Bureau of the DOH is currently gathering and validating more information on the new cases. The DOH says it will release all pertinent information to the public once it is available.
DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III says, “The DOH is committed to accurate and timely reporting of verified information on the COVID-19 health situation. We have been preparing for the possibility of localized transmission in the country. Now that there are confirmed cases of localized transmission, DOH and the Inter-Agency Task Force are now implementing pre-planned measures to respond to the situation.”
The DOH urges individuals with a fever and/or respiratory symptoms with a history of travel and exposure to get in touch with the DOH for appropriate management and referral.
Secretary Duque also reminds the public to continue practicing “personal preventive measures” such as handwashing, cough etiquette, and social distancing, and to avoid visiting public places and/or joining mass gatherings to help the agency contain the COVID-19 outbreak.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
What other parents are reading